President

Mona Hill

B.S. in Energy Sustainability Policy, Spring 2022
Honduras

Why are you the best candidate for the position? 

I’ve had the privilege of being the President of the Sustainability Club for about four months now and have enjoyed my time in the organization. Creating projects with my team, such as our upcoming podcast, a collaboration with Video Game Club, and a possible partnership with Home Depot, has taught me a lot about communication, networking, and navigation. My participation in the Lead the Pride seminar and the Penn State World Campus Leadership Conference could aid my abilities.

What are the most pressing issues the WCSGA should address in the next academic year? 

The most pressing issues the WCSGA should address is the mental health of our students. The COVID pandemic has made it difficult to create an atmosphere that fosters positivity and creativity amongst all of our students. Our World Campus Nittany Lions are some of the brightest students in the world, and we owe it to them to provide an environment where their mental health is taken care of.

Randy Tetrick

Masters of Business Administration, Spring 2023
Pennsylvania, United States

Results oriented leader who is inclusive. I believe everyone has a voice/seat at the table. I have a passion to make things better. I enjoy solving problems and simplifing the user experience. In my current position, I am known for standing up highly effective teams across the globe. I have stood up 4 high performing teams with 2 of them being in India. My interests are photography and kung fu.

Searching for assignments, reading material and discussion due dates should not be a treasure hunt. We need to make everything a one stop shop with user friendly navagation. Everything (all links) should be housed in the syllabus. There are too many avenues to get to different views of the same data. The discussion boards need to modernized along with clearly identifying when the initial post verse the response post is due. Consistency is super important for working professionals.

Vice President

Ariel Hinojos

B.A., Spring 2022
Wyoming, United States

I am the best candidate for this position given my back ground and track record as a leader. I believe I will be able to work along side the President to be successful in leading our student government.

What are the most pressing issues the WCSGA should address in the 2019-20 academic year? 

The most pressing issues that should be addressed is the impact on students of Covid-19.

Secretary

Jahnvi Damrath

B.S. in Human Resources, Spring 2023
Delaware, United States

I am very detail-oriented, and I like to help others attain success. When it comes to completing a task, I make sure I do it to the best of my abilities. I tend to put a lot of effort into anything I do because it’s key to success in life.

An issue I would like to discuss is adding live zoom classes to the World Campus curriculum. I believe having a class lecture will be beneficial because the professor can explain the lesson plan thoroughly.

Lourdes Mestre

B.A. in Psychology, Spring 2022
Arizona, United States

If there is one skill that I’ve been able to sharpen in the last few years it’s been learning to juggle priorities – school, family life, children, work, spirituality, writing, and artistic expression – while setting a high standard to achieve the goals I’ve set for myself. I’m continually striving to self-actualize my greatest potential – both for the benefit of those around me, the organizations I serve, and future connections along the way. I always look for a way to enrich daily life with positive psychology strategies and subscribe to the ‘attitude of gratitude’ mindset. I’m detail-oriented, organized, and an excellent listener which I believe are essential qualities to have for the role of WCSGA Secretary. Digitally, I’m well versed in all critical software applications needed to fulfill the duties as Secretary of the WCSGA including newsletter automation platforms, WordPress/HTML, and Adobe Creative Suite. Professionally, I’ve been an official member of the Forbes Coaches Council since 2016 and a fellow member at the Institute of Coaching Harvard/McLean Hospital since 2017. In my spare time, I enjoy hiking, photography, painting, and creative writing.

As an adult learner, I believe that online content delivery is key for students to thrive at Penn State World Campus. Given new online learning content has radically adapted for other in-person campuses over the last year due to COVID-19, World Campus students could benefit from implementing some of those new learning styles and modes. For example, offering World Campus students the ability to enroll in virtual classes from another Penn State campus which are being offered via Zoom for that semester.

Sabrina Smith

B.A. in Digital Journalism and Media, Winter 2022
Florida, United States

I feel that I am the best candidate for this position because I deeply care about World Campus and I want to help make it the best school it can be; I am also very qualified for this position as well! I have had experience in secretarial positions in other organizations and I have multiple professional positions that have given me the tools and skills needed to succeed in Student Government.

I believe  the most pressing issue that WCSGA should address in the 2021-22 year is how to get students more involved in a digital environment. While we have some great clubs and organizations to join, I feel like we can have more of an outreach; possibly with a tutor program, World Campus annual trip, networking zooms, and more!

Treasurer

Mateusz Engelbardt

A.S. in Business Adminstration, Fall 2024
Pennsylvania, United States

I began my journey as a member of the marketing and communications committee. Next, I became the marketing and communications chair. Lastly, I would like to be involved or aware of finances, and afford my time, talent and treasure by working with spreadsheets as well as faculty, students and staff.

Finding a balance of having finances as well using our funds to donate to students or organizations that are needing financial help.

Kyle Harmon

B.A. in Accounting, 2023
Indiana, United States

I have served one year under the position gaining knowledge and experience. I also am pursuing a degree in accounting which gives me some qualifications to hold this position. I am interested in financials and holding policy and working to improve the World Campus experience for all students.

Speaker of the Assembly

Denise Koehnke

B.A. in Digital Journalism and Media, Spring 2024
Wisconsin, United States

Through working with many diverse ages and stages of life, I am excited by the opportunity to discuss questions, concerns and ideas with students. I am a diligent problem solver and would work hard to meet the needs of our unique student body.

Knowing what our diverse community needs. The WCSGA is designed to give World Campus students a voice and help them truly identify as part of the Penn State family. To do this, we need to be getting in touch with our World Campus students so we know what they need and how to best represent and support them.

Teeana Clark

B.S. in Accounting, Fall 2025
Pennsylvania, United States

I tend to be very well organized.

I feel like there currently are no issues to discuss here.

Academic Affairs Committee Chair

Jennifer Gomez

B.S. in Energy Sustainability Policy, Fall 2023
California, United States

I have a strong passion to help Penn State achieve its goals of a seamless experience with World Campus. I’m a natural problem solver and hope to create a team that can work together to reach our goals.

The discrepancies that exist in approaches to teaching courses in comparison to on campus vs. World Campus

Governmental Affairs Committee Chair

Charlissa (Charli) Newsom

B.S. in Health Policy and Administration,  Spring 2022
Virginia, United States

I am passionate about the role of student government to assist in the betterment of the student experience. I currently serve as VP in Zeta Mu Phi and love it. I am adept to communicating with a broad spectrum of people and have served in a management and leadership role in several different positions. Communication and team work is key and my goal is to close the gap between student government and outside government relations. I plan to advocate for student needs related to government affairs.

The biggest area of opportunity that I have seen in my time in the SGA is the need for more effective and open communication between World Campus and the various in person campuses. We are one university and I would like to see it feel more like that instead of a separate entity.

Emily Bourne

B.A. in Strategic Communications, Spring 2022
Pennsylvania, United States

I have worked for nearly a decade in government—from a local level to federal projects. My main function has been to communicate, to disseminate information, and support my team on policy, advocacy, and other important implementations to improve overall programming. In this capacity, I will strategically and effectively represent the interests of our student body to ensure the alignment of our needs with those of the University and other pertinent governmental agencies.

The sustained advocacy and support for World Campus students, ensuring distance learners are full members of the Penn State community is of paramount importance. It is vital that the WCSGA continues to foster productive relationships with University staff and administration, while engaging the student body so their concerns are appropriately heard.

Caleb Carr

Masters of Business Administration, May 2023
Colorado, United States

Leadership, Experience, Drive. Those are the core elements that I bring to Penn State. Before Penn State I earned my law degree, focusing on corporate law and litigation. During that time, I founded Vita Inclinata Technologies, a defense company based in Washington DC & Denver, CO. I have successfully passed both state & federal legislation. To put it simply, I will bring this experience to drive government interest in the amazing work that we do and ensure that we have a voice, not just a seat at the table.

The Student Government Association needs to begin to focus on supporting the global community. We are a community from everywhere but yet our voice is not consolidated. We need to bring the community together. We need to provide platforms for people to ask for help and network with other students. Facebook, LinkedIn groups will not cut it. We need a network if we are ever going to be successful and it is SGA’s responsibility to make that happen.

Jiyoun Im

B.A. in Law and Society, Spring 2022
Alaska, United States

As a treasurer in previous institution, I frequently communicated with the university faculty to align the goals of the university staff and the SGA. This will help me succeed in executing the duties as the Governmental Affairs Committee Chair. As a student aspiring to be a lawyer, this role ties in with my career goals and interests in the sense that I have an affinity for legislative and judicial practices in the United States of America. My forte is project planning and leadership.

We can immediately identify and should address two major issues in our society. The first, being systemic and occasionally explicitly shown racism that we’ve seen within our own country’s borders. The hate has created a massive rift between different groups, incited violence in many public areas, and ultimately created more segregations. Another issue is the mental health of our students. Due to the pandemic, students have suffered from self-isolation, lack of in-person contact and anxiety.

Marketing and Communications Committee Chair

Corinne Leigh Coffey

B.S. in Criminal Justice, Spring 2023
North Carolina, United States

I have had a successful YouTube career for the past 15 years and am considered an expert in social media management. I aim to reduce the stigma surrounding World Campus students using fun social media campaigns and engaging content.

I would like to see our WCSGA website dialed in and WCSGA actively posting on our social outlets. Our meeting minutes need to be more accessible to the wider WC student body to hopefully get more people involved in the WCSGA.

Student Affairs Committee Chair

Rachel Foster

B.S. in Criminal Justice, Spring 2022
Pennsylvania, United States

After being appointed Student Affairs chair in the Fall, I have undertaken multiple projects with the intention of improving the channels of communication regarding various aspects of Student Affairs –  including student programs, club activities, and WCSGA events. I believe I’m highly qualified to continue these efforts to implement improved communication methods within World Campus, with the goal of engaging as many students as possible in our unique online-only environment.

My primary concern is improving World Campus outreach and communication to the student body, in order to ensure that students are more aware of the various offerings and activities available to them as Penn State students. In addition, continuing to work towards creating a greater sense of community between World Campus students and within the Penn State community as a whole is a top goal for me.

Caitlyn DeBlaay

B.A. in Labor Employment Relations and B.A. in Organizational Leadership, Fall 2023
North Carolina, United States

I have been blessed with the opportunity to have to chance to explore the world and interact with many individuals whom are different from myself. These opportunities have allowed me to find my passion of working with and helping others. It also has allowed me to understand that with any issue, they are different perspectives that need to be acknowledged. I am not afraid to speak up and be that voice for those whom need it and to listen to those concerns that are brought to my attention.

One of the issues I would like to be able to address is building a sense of community amongst the World Campus students, especially with our new students. Students should feel like the college experience they have here is just as much of a priority to the college as is their success. Additionally, we should be looking for ways to build engagement amongst students with their peers as well as faculty. This will allow for a greater overall college experience and enrichment for our students.

Lydia Cowher

Masters of Public Administration, Spring 2022
Pennsylvania, United States

I am the type of person who thrives on helping others. I help others every day at my job and in my extracurricular activities. Helping others gives me a sense of purpose. I feel that I would best fit the Student Affairs chair as the ultimate goal is to help the students of World Campus. My goal is to help bring together students, for them to feel included in the Penn State experience, no matter where they are geographically located. I want all students to feel connected and valued.

I feel that there are several issues that need to be addressed by WCSGA and that we may already be on our way towards meeting them. First I think that communication needs to be addressed. There appears, at least to me, to be a lack of communication to World Campus students. This is something I would like to work on. I would also like for the students to be able to have a central location to go to know what their resources are. I believe it is of great importance.

Kyndall Sherrell

B.S. in Integrated Social Sciences, Spring 2023
Texas, United States

Simply put, I care and want to learn. Having had background in student government and student affairs prior, I have learned and listened. I want to do the same for my fellow peers, I want to learn and listen and serve you all the best I can.

Student involvement, World Campus students need to feel like they are a part of the University. I am prepared to bring forth programming and work with other offices to create that connection virtually.

Technology Committee Chair

Gary Godorov

B.S., 2026
Oregon, United States

Technology is something I have a passion for. From a very young age, I grew up on computers and earlier devices. I understand complex issues facing  technology for students.

One issue I feel should be addressed is the interactive part of the learning. We as students need more interaction with our classmates and professors while in school. Further, I want to promote other devices to be able to use the software through upgrades and student ideas.

Carmina Perez

MPS in Strategic Communications, Spring 2022
Pennsylvania, United States

I’m excited to be serving as the current World Campus Student Government Association Technology Committee Chair for the 20-21 school year. Since 2007, I have been working in the digital space and have considerable experience in managing, updating and optimizing websites.

As online learners, we do not have the benefit of traditional face-to-face interaction. Online programs must be responsive to our special needs and be able to bridge the gaps that arise when communicating in the virtual world. My goal is to advocate for a more connected and enhanced online experience for World Campus students. We’re now more dependent on technology than ever before and we need to ensure that our online programs do more as well.

Good Luck Candidates!